There is something exciting about Fashion’s return to the 80s for someone who never actually got to live the decade in any sort of conscious sartorial way. Older friends that did live through it seem to demure when pressed for photo evidence while looking at each other in a conspiratorial way as if something truly shocking happened they may never speak of again. Still, the OTT madness of the Wham decade is truly intoxicating for someone with magpie tendencies like me so whenever the chance presents itself and this trend comes back around, I embrace it wholeheartedly. Oversized, bright, metallic or over embellished , it’s about maxing out right now and my final Spring Trend Report for L’Oreal Paris Preference Glam Lights is a return to the decade that gave us the Jane Fonda workout video.
clockwise from bottom:
1. We all know that the Bronde look suits women who want to be more on the blonde side of the spectrum, but what about the ones that would like to stay on the darker side of the trend’s shading wheel? With Glam Lights shade 4 you can dip your toes into trying the trend without any overdone results. Highlight a halo of multilayered pieces in a barely there, sun kissed way and your hair will catch the light in a shimmering yet naturally blended way. Summerliscious!
2. Accessories should be bigger and brighter right now so choose lots of gold and shine ( Colette Hayman bracelet)
3. Buckles, embellishments and gold: the more the merrier ( Laurence Decades booties)
4. Think you can’t take sequins to the beach? Think again ; this bikini will make you catch the sun’s sparkle. Bonus: wear the top under an open shirt for disco dancing later on ( Agent Provocateur bikini )
5. Bigger = better. Choose big sunglasses now and don’t forget gold accents ( Gold sunglasses by Karen Walker Sunglasses, Peach & Gold sunglasses by Aje, Black & Gold sunglasses by Gucci )
6. It’s all about multitasking make up – this baby does cheeks and lips and comes in pretty rose gold packaging ( Charlotte Tilburry Beach Stick in Moon Beach )
7. Leopard : Let’s face it, leopard is never out of fashion, but this season it’s back with a vengeance. Wear it with clashing prints, metallics or more leopard – it’s never enough ! ( Jerome Dreyfus bag )
8. Lame and Iridescent fabrics come to the fore now – choose bright and stay ahead of the pack ( Iridescent dress by Asos, Lame dress vintage Balmain )